Tuesday, March 14, 2017

The Spiral

I put this out there in a kind of hopeful confidence that I'm not alone. The evening starts with... an open door. My coat isn't off and the kids are whining... I know because I can hear it from the stairwell on the first floor. (We live on the third floor.) As I walk in, I realize that it's one of those moments where everyone is aware that we have all been giving all for ... well, a whole day.

But the littles are... little. The 5:45 hour is called witching and happy hour for a reason. 


And yesterday? It was a spiral. I didn't even start out at a very good spot, but my patience ran thin and my voice was tense and dishes piled high and the clothes were everywhere and and and and... Spiral. I never did quite rebound. 

But... I lay in bed last night thinking about an encouragement from another Mama who said to get face to face and apologize to my child and start over. So, that's what I did. And you know what? Today was better. There wasn't a spiral. And yes, the circumstances of yesterday were harder. Today I went home early because of a snow storm, but I'll still take it. It was a non-spiral night. And me and my kiddos needed that after last night. The love runs thick and tonight was not a spiral night. 

I know that wasn't my last spiral night. And you know what? I feel pretty un-self-aware. I had no idea how to stop the spiral and get it back in gear... I just struggled through until they were all in bed, crawling to my own bed in a bit of defeat. So, any tips you have for getting out of the witching hour and conquering as the happy hour... I'll take it! Comment below, text me, or heck. Just pray for me. :)

Happy Tuesday--hope you're staying warm! We had a pretty slushy mess outside today!

4 comments:

  1. Love the photo of Rowan. Such a perfect spiral photo. You're a great Mama. Maybe it's not so much about no-spirals as it is about forgiveness and starting over after the spiral. I can how spiral reduction is a noble goal, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mae! You're such a good friend.

      Delete
  2. Oh Mary, I am with you. Genevieve decided to paint all of our couches on the first floor with boudreauxs butt paste. And it doesn't come out. Oh, and most of her toys, the carpet, the floors, my laundry, her sister's hair. ... I'm with you. I'm texting you a visual .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! What a clean-up that must've been!!!! I would've spiraled for SURE.

      Delete