Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Beautiful

I spend a lot of time walking around the streets of Cambridge and Boston these days. If I'm not too busy, I get my regular fill of people watching--which is one of my favorite pastimes. I have memories of sitting in shopping malls with Grandpa Bud  (the stud in the center of the photo) while the women shopped during holiday time. We'd sit, eat some candy... and watch people. 

Well, I've been noticing something new with this old pastime of mine. I'm stunned by the beauty of people. Hopefully that means I'm softening a bit with age. But, I see people in the normalcy of every day, and I'm struck by how big the world is, how deep people and their lives are, how small I am, and simply: how beautiful they are. And no, I'm not talking about an occasional model-like human being. I'm talking about people of all kinds. And that's what I want to continue to meditate on. These people: doing, giving, loving in so many ways, just like I am and we all are. It's unfathomable how big the world is. And I'm in awe. Thank you God for all the particular circumstances we are all in... And you know what? You're beautiful. And my goal? To slow down enough to keep being beautiful--doing, giving and loving with all I am and sitting still long enough to thank God for you. 

And yes, this is why I love photography. I don't know who was behind the camera that day when they saw Aunt Irma, Grandpa Bud and Uncle Joe and snapped a photo... But I thank God for them. Because now I have this memory frozen in time. What a gift. And aren't they beautiful? I thank God for them, too.

So, go. Go enjoy the holidays. And yes, pull out your camera. Snap a photo or two. See people you love and marvel at how blessed you are to have them. Because we are all very deeply blessed.

4 comments:

  1. this reminds me of Thomas Merton: "There is no way of telling people that they are all walking around shining like the sun." http://www.spiritualtravels.info/articles-2/north-america/kentucky-a-thomas-merton-tour/thomas-mertons-mystical-vision-in-louisville/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! A much more beautiful way of saying what I'm feeling! I just want to grab folks by the shoulders and tell them how beautiful they are! (Don't worry--I don't!) hah!

      Delete
  2. I have to work on putting down the camera, though, and seeing the lens (and my children) through "real time"! Because, we are, *they are* beautiful, and I want to create moments (although it is fun to look back on the memories, too)! We are blessed, and I loved he how the camera catches my blessings! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! As a photographer, I do need to remember to put it away... On the other hand, every time I pick up a camera, I feel alive and more genuinely ME! Funny, isn't it? It's certainly a balance!

      Delete