Thursday, September 22, 2016

City Living


There are things I didn't know about city living prior to our grand adventure. They aren't earth shattering things... they just are. I've been noticing them, watching them change me and how I see the world. And I'll admit it, I kind of relish in them.

The familiar sights of your commuting route becomes a daily comfort. I love the one property that has already begun to smell of rotting autumn leaves and pine, making me even more eager for my corduroy jacket and leather Born boots. I know my commute has taken longer than usual when the pie shop has closed for the night (at 6 pm). And yes, the faces on the train and bus are beginning to look familiar because we are all doing our own routine.

Last week, I sat next to a man on the bus having a job interview. I cheered for him as he politely brought up salary and compensation because... hey. I've been there. And that feeling of nervousness and putting yourself out there is real and I get it. Plus, he's a baker. And that is cool.


I entered the train station a few weeks ago and watched as hundreds of people walked around as usual while the fire alarm was going off. Not even one eye twitch or look to the side by these folks to indicate that something was not quite right. I texted Brian to tell him that if I didn't make it home... the Back Bay station had a fire. Hah. (I made it home.)

Trash day in the city is real. You walk by all the cans, smelling the odor and then, if you're a novice, you jaywalk and end up walking behind the wind tunnel of a large garbage truck... only to be wholly enveloped in that odor. 


The farmer's Market is my weak spot. A 30 minute lunch break is the perfect amount of time to fall in love with the perfect looking produce and to whisk it away for a few dollars to make into caprese salad or Grandma's coleslaw. The only hitch? Carry it home, girl.  


I look forward to continuing to enjoy the small quirks and joys of city living... But especially... Autumn! I took the above photo on a family nature walk at Notre Dame last year, not long after Rowan was born... It seems like years ago! Now I can't wait to see the colors change in my new city!

No comments:

Post a Comment