Wednesday, April 13, 2016

VERITAS


Welcome to my first guest post on Mary's blog! Given Mary's remarkable skill at writing in this arena, I'm honored that she's agreed to let me use her blog to make a family announcement.

But first, I'll keep you in suspense with some back story.

About this time a year ago, I was beginning to feel rather restless in my current position at Trinity School. I was looking for the next challenge and a way to grow personally. In discussion with Mary and many mentors, we eventually decided that pursuing a graduate degree was the best course of action.

Cue the GRE studying, program and university research, more GRE studying, prospective job research, a final list of schools for application, tracking down letters of recommendation, writing statements of purpose, and right-at-the-last-minute submission of applications at midnight (yes, yes, I'm one of those people).

Next came the excruciating waiting season. Did I reach too high? Who even gets into these schools that I applied to? Man, we'd better have a back up plan for next year. Are we really going to actually sell our house, leave our family and friends, and move our two young children into a big city? Can we even pay for this? We'd better visit these schools, so when can we afford to get away for a few days, and who's going to watch the kids?

In all of this, Mary was my hero. She cheerleaded, encouraged, challenged, and loved me through the whole process. She is, without a doubt, the the best thing that has ever happened to me.

When decision time rolled around, I was actually accepted to all four programs to which I applied--Praise God! We then had an added season of discerning which of these programs was the best fit. There is a lot to be said about what happened here, but at this point you're likely not paying attention to any details and waiting for me to say:

We're Going to Harvard!

If you know your university landmarks, then you've known for the whole post that the above picture is from our visit to Harvard Yard. But just for the sake of clarity, here are a few more: 



I will begin the M.Ed. in School Leadership at the Harvard Graduate School of Education in August. We hope to move out to Cambridge in late summer to give Mary some time to start her new job (pray for her to find a great one!) before school starts. 

There's way more to be said, but for now, we wanted to share the exciting news. We're excited to be following the Lord to Cambridge in this new chapter, and I'm sure this will lead to an amazing year of quick takes--stay tuned. 

6 comments:

  1. That's so exciting! Congrats and best of luck in grad school life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:09 PM

    Congratulations! Best of luck!

    Tony & Lisa Nyers

    ReplyDelete
  3. ¡Felicidades!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WooHoo!!! And yes, I believe Mary IS the best thing that has happened to you - and that YOU are the best thing that has happened to her :) Wait a minute - "thing???"
    Anyway, Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful news for the two of you! What excitement! What fun and what work! God bless the four of you, and we will see you back in SB (hopefully) after you get that degree! Linda Finke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, Brian! That's really exciting. Can't wait to see all that the Lord does with you and through you.

    ReplyDelete