Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Two Languages

Thanks to my husband, we are a bilingual household. About 80% of what Brian says to George is in Spanish. He took a bit of Spanish in school and then spent several years teaching it at Trinity School at Greenlawn. About 90% of what I say to George is in English, because it's my only language! I use Spanish phrases here and there and believe me, whether it's one phrase between George and me or a whole paragraph between Brian and George, if we're in public, we are a sight to behold... Being... well... Look at us:


In the beginning, it wasn't hard to follow as neither of us were saying anything more complicated than "Look! Mira!" or "Good Throw! Buen Tiro!" or simply identifying animals. But, George is two now, and we're definitely entering a phase where I'm tempted to frustrate after a long sentence or paragraph communicates something that I can't quite follow. I know that it will expand my own use of Spanish, which I'm very grateful for. I'm happy to learn more and maybe at some point I'll attempt to reinforce what I'm hearing with some more of the "book" side of it.

The thing that really delights me is just how often we find ourselves in a situation where he uses his Spanish. In fact, a good number of people we love dearly in town only speak Spanish. They report back to me that his Spanish is very good. "The only thing he can do to improve is to be immersed in a Spanish speaking culture." He's awesome. I'm positive that he'll continue to find ways to use it, and I'm proud that he's worked at making it a part of our life.

And, of course, having a bit of Spanish in our life leads to great moments like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment