Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Friendship

There's a lot to be said for it. Friendship. The thing that makes marriage so sweet, the thing that between friends helps us shoulder our burdens, intensifies our joy and makes life so full. It's all out there: articles on friendship between women in their 30s being difficult, the "best friend" phase of childhood being long gone. There so much already said on the baby and toddler phase of motherhood that simply sucks your time and energy and it feels like even coffee klatsching is impossible. But, the encouragement is also out there: Find friends! Make them dinner! Need support? Be support! Host dinner parties! Don't worry about your messy home! And yes, I think all of it is true. I find myself, an introvert (though most wouldn't guess it), happy to stay home, read my books (ok, ok, watch a show) and write on my blog... or, edit photos... 

And then, I happen upon this:
This friend who went out with me at 9 p.m. with her 2 month old baby just to chat and reflect on all that is at this exact moment in time... And I think to myself: Yes. Keep editing those photos and seeing what's really worth it: Friendship. Keep listening to your husband when he suggests you go out with a good friend. Life is short. And I'm grateful for all of you, my good friends.

 
PS- Yes. I look like that because I jumped in a lake once, not realizing my boyfriend would propose... and then I'd have lake hair in all. of. the. pictures. Maybe I should blog that story, too... But for now... Goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. My husband has been getting after me to get together with friends once a week, again, too. :) You're right: they are so important, and worth the time and energy we put into them even when it feels like we have no more time and energy.

    ReplyDelete