Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Love What You Wear

I've been fascinated with the capsule wardrobe concept. I did a little analysis of my current wardrobe (for my current size... which is very much a postpartum size...) In an attempt to make my wardrobe work in a time where it is no fun to make a wardrobe work, I assessed what I have and what I like and I took pictures. Here's my summary of my little mini-project: (Not including shoes, accessories, etc. because I'm realistic about how big or small to keep a project with two babies.)

Mary's Fall Capsule Wardrobe

Navy and Cream Striped skirt
Grey Patterned skirt
Skinny Jeans
Boot cut jeans
Brown Dress pants
Grey dress pants

Cream Sweater
Blue short sleeve
Confetti shirt
Green short-sleeve sweater
Mauve button down
Black and gray striped shirt
Periwinkle and white striped shirt
Brown speckled sweater
Black speckled sweater
Grey cardigan
Brown vest
Pink Zip-up Fleece


There are a few things that I like about this way of doing clothes:  
  • Commitment to Love your clothing.
  • Mix and Match so you don't need to own so many pieces.
  • With each season, reassess what you have, what's working, what's not and get rid of what's not. Especially helpful: get rid of overly worn clothing. 
  • Buy quality clothes that will last and not go quickly out of style.
Things I've learned:
  • I own a lot of clothing that I kind of like.
  • I got rid of a whole bunch of clothing (which is saying something for a natural minimalist like me) and I haven't missed one article of it. 
  • If you have a laundry mishap: NO. FUN. You happened to REALLY like everything that was in the wash.
  • I really do own enough with what's listed.
  • Taking photos of yourself is very humbling. And, helpful in deciding what articles of clothing flatter you... and don't.
At this point, I'm ready to begin again for the post-Christmas winter season so that I can start fresh! I look forward to putting away a few of the good quality warmer weather clothing options and replacing them with warm sweaters! 
Glad I tried this idea out and look forward to keeping my wardrobe manageable.

2 comments:

  1. Nice white sweater :)
    BLOG M&MFASHIONBITES : http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/
    Maria V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am working toward a capsule wardrobe too. It has been so liberating. I find that buying a lot of my clothes from the same place helps too. I have several pieces from J Jill, and they almost all mix and match. I can also order online easily because I know my size in everything. This is particularly helpful since we live in a rural area and going shopping is a full day's event. Their stuff is pretty pricey, but I get only a few pieces at a time, and I ask for J Jill clothes for my Bday and Xmas. Buying most of my clothes from one place simplifies things too. It is taking me some time, but I am slowly building up a capsule wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete