Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Rowan Adelaide

 (I'm going to cheat here and put the "pretty picture" first. The nitty gritty is next, promise.)

This was my second experience with birth... It feels crazy to say that, but it's true. We have two children and I birthed both of them. The punchline? Happy, healthy babies with no drugs. My plan before each birth? Nothing. Get that baby out, with or without drugs and with as much politeness as possible.  Since it's impossible not to compare them, George's birth was 15 hours with 30 minutes of pushing and Rowan's birth was 7 hours with 15 minutes of pushing.  So, my desire for a shorter labor was realized. And I was certainly grateful for that!

(The nitty gritty. Because labor. It's nitty gritty.)


I woke up at 2 AM, knowing that August 8 would be my daughter's birthday. After two hours of laboring at home, Brian expressed that he thought I was ready to go to the hospital, based on pain level.  I agreed, we got in the car and as we arrived at the hospital I asked Brian to pull over so that I could "enjoy" a contraction in a stationary vehicle.  We parked and walked in together and happily discovered in triage that I was 4-5 cm dilated. We then had the chance to visit with our favorite resident, Bob, before getting serious about this birth thing. The IV took a whopping three tries and left significant bruises for the next several days... Oh the joys.



My overall experience this time was more intense, but I also experienced a lot of helpful direction from our midwife, ultimately leading to having very little pain postpartum. Little did I know that her direction to stop pushing at crucial moments would very much help my recovery. Oh, and our nurse?? The same nurse who taught our birth class for George and who was our triage nurse when we arrived to the hospital before George was born. That was a fun treat.

One thing I really wanted this time around was a peaceful post delivery where I could nurse the baby. This was happily realized (after Rowan peed on me, of course), when she proceeded to nurse for 40 minutes directly after birth.  It was an unbelievably sweet moment when only the three of us knew the good news and enjoyed meeting each other.


I have certainly reaped the benefits of not having to learn as much this time around. My stay in the hospital was uneventful, with all of the tests and procedures and pamphlets being less than novel.  It did not take five pairs of hands to get my child to latch on and nurse. For all of this, I am extremely grateful... and frankly, much better rested.

(Even Rowan wasn't phased by tests...)

I'm also extremely grateful for my husband, who encouraged me, loved me and... purchased some high-end manhattan makings so that we could toast to the newest member of our family--a celebration indeed!



Cheers to you, Rowan Adelaide! We love you!

1 comment:

  1. We love you Rowan! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete