Friday, June 19, 2015

Take 153

7 Quick Takes Friday
--- 1 ---
George's language is coming... though with no great speed. We have agreed upon his first word being Mama and we're fairly certain his second word was either wow or ball. (Dont' worry--Papa was close behind and is his most unprompted word to be used!) But I must say, I love it when he says slowly, "woooow!"
--- 2 ---
 In advance of camping, I made my first batch of homemade bubbles. I'll admit it's not the best bubble making liquid, but it does just fine. :)
--- 3 ---
I think it's unfair whenever any physical "blemish" is painful. So, it turns out I was disappointed to discover that varicose veins actually hurt. So, I'm trying out Nettle tea, despite being a non-tea drinker. The plan? A cup a day until baby arrives. So far, so good. I don't hate it... but who knows if it's doing anything. Herbal-awesomeness.
--- 4 ---
Speaking of herbs... I need basil help. Our plants are actually producing a fair amount this year! Unfortunately, not enough to make a batch of pesto, but too much to slip in to our daily meal planning... SO. I've made basil and garlic infused olive oil, I've served Italian dinners as often as possible and generously added basil and even added it to our batch of weekly hummus. 

Here are two questions:
1. How do I keep basil leaves fresh? Fridge turns them black and counter top makes them wilt. All of the recommendations I've seen talk about "branches", but I don't want to clip whole branches!
2. What else should I be doing with these leaves?? Drying them and saving them for the rest of the year?? What other recipes do you use? What else is spectacular when you add basil?
--- 5 ---
We're basically ready for baby #2 because George has started really contributing to our household... This little man puts away tupperware:
--- 6 ---
Do you know that Sunday is Father's Day?
Hooray for our Papas!
--- 7 ---
Speaking of Papas, three cheers for Papa picking up a kiddie pool! George was beside himself with excitement! 

Happy Friday!

4 comments:

  1. My mom always kept bunches of basil on the counter in a glass and that worked pretty well. I know you say you don't want to cut off a branch but... last August I cut a branch off my mom's (huge) basil plant and put it in a glass of water. It grew roots and lasted until January. No joke. (I probably should have planted it...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Anne! Good to know! I'll keep that in mind... especially when it's later in the season!

      Delete
  2. freeze it. chop and freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be afraid to cut branches! I generally cut off 1/3 to 1/2 of each plant when I harvest.

    ReplyDelete