Friday, April 11, 2014

Take 97

7 Quick Takes Friday
--- 1 ---
Hooray for going back to work! I worked two afternoons this week and both were peaceful. I couldn't ask for a better childcare situation--Beth C. will be watching him and this week Aunt Mairin was on spring break, so she got to enjoy him, too! I'm so peaceful knowing he's in good hands and it's fun to be back in the office, too. 

It's true what they say, too, he's way cuter after 5 hours at the office. ;)
I have a theory, too, which is that I'll like being home more when I am home and I'll be more productive at work, too, since I'm only there 5 hours, 4 times per week.

Oh, and a 3 day weekend every weekend? Count me in!
--- 2 ---
Remember the article I linked to on reading? Well, in the spirit of having lots of types of books to read, I downloaded the All New Square Foot Gardening book and finished it in less than a week! And now I can't wait to start a square foot garden in our yard! 
Our current plan is to start small: one 6'x2' box (with 12 plots). 
My current dream of produce includes: asparagus, bush beans, swiss chard, lettuce, spinich, strawberries, basil, rosemary, jalapenos and kale. Sounds fantastic, doesn't it? 

We'll see how it goes! (Literally. I'll keep you posted.) :)
[I do plan to plant tomatoes, too, but won't include them in that SFG bed because they're awful big and I don't want to do a vertical dimension to that garden just yet. Start small, right?]
--- 3 ---
Two years ago, Brian and I enjoyed Easter together in our new home, just barely married. We roasted s'mores in our fireplace after Easter vigil Mass and enjoyed french press and homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Last year, we gallivanted like happy (less-)newlyweds and visited wine country in California. We got to spend Easter with family out there... Torture, I know. 
(Easter in California... eggs hidden in succulents!)

Well, this year we're happily (even less newly) married and now we're a party of three!
So, what are your favorite Easter traditions?
I'd love to know, because I'd love to start investing in traditions we can do every year, like a batch of cinnamon rolls that gets half of the batch saved for Pentecost.
What are your hum-dingers?
--- 4 ---
This past weekend we got to go to the wedding of David and Catherine! 
One thing I wanted to share from it was that the priest prayed over them and prayed that they'd extend hospitality together as a family. What a great idea!
I loved reflecting on the gift of hospitality as a charism of our Christian life... 
It's something Brian and I love to do and I want to get better at it!


Oh, and I also learned to:
 take that family picture of everyone looking all spiffy
at. the. church.
So you don't forget.
And regret forgetting it.
In a serious way.
--- 5 ---
How can I not comment on the weather?
After a brutally long winter, we're looking at 68 and sunny today.
And I'm not working! 
And Grammy's coming over with lunch for us!
How can I keep from singing?
--- 6 ---
Speaking of weather, we've walked around the yard prioritizing our yard/garden plans for this summer and I'm getting excited for window boxes! We have 4 front windows and I'm hoping to paint 4 wooden planter boxes and our front door red. 


Any suggestions on plants?
I like wavy petunias, but I was thinking even something that's consistently green would be just fine... some sort of vine? I'm excited!

[Isn't Brian's paint job just the best? 70 years of paint stripped away 
and now we get to live in THIS beautiful place!]
--- 7 ---
Well, I hope to hear from y'all regarding Easter traditions, but George and I should stop chillin' and chattin' on our bed for now. (Diaper change, anyone? Ok, maybe just George.)
We wish you a blessed Holy Week and a Happy Easter--you won't see me on the blog next week, but I look forward to seeing you in two weeks!

Love,
Mary & George

Thanks for hosting, Jen!
And thanks to George for being happy for an hour while I did this post.

1 comment:

  1. When I had children at home, I would play the Easter song on the piano and we'd all sing. I still love that song.
    I always make Easter bread for Easter morning - sweet bread with anise (about triple what the recipe calls for), braided. I put colored eggs in the braids, then drizzle a light pastel frosting. When it's dry, I add a nest of cellophane grass in the center and add in some jelly beans.

    ReplyDelete