Sunday, December 08, 2013

The Ordinary

Sometimes life is just ordinary, isn't it? Even the big moments can feel that way! I was thinking about this as I was reflecting on how often I feel the baby move these days. The first time I felt the baby move, I was sitting in a Health and Life Insurance licensing class. My first response was, "No! Not here! Don't move for the first time here! It's... so... ordinary."

Now that Thumper moves a lot (and with force!), I have confirmed that what I felt was Thumper. I wasn't making it up and yes, it was in a boring class... On the other hand, I had just eaten a Krispy Kreme donut... soooo... at least we know what Thumper really likes. ;)

As I begin to think about what motherhood will be like and how we'll transition to a family of three, I think that this small exercise in appreciating the ordinary will go a long way. I want to be able to enjoy the ordinary moments of family life and not take them for granted. 

But, for the time being, we're enjoying the more than ordinary time of the holidays with a tree, lights, advent wreath and stockings... and I'll take that, too!


2 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for this post, Mary!

Mrs. Mary Virginia said...

You're welcome, Lisa! :)