Friday, September 20, 2013

Take 70

7 Quick Takes Friday 
--- 1 ---
We have begun using our dishwasher. I've spent 1.5 years without using it mostly because it seemed silly to me to use it for only two people. But I'll admit, Brian usually does the dishes... sooo... He's clearly the best. I'm sharing this because what I've discovered is that using the dishwasher means our counters are cleaner more often. (Shocking, right?) The pile of dishes next to the sink doesn't feel so daunting when you get to load 3/4 of them and wash the remainder... I'm loving the simplicity of it. 

Now we just need to fill the water softener with more goodness. :)
--- 2 ---
I am the kind of person whose email inbox is not full. Everything is always read and I archive as soon as humanly possible. I've discovered that I'm the same way about my blog feed. Since I took a new job (Aug. 1st), I have had over 40 blog posts waiting to be read... at some points, it was over 100. (And I seriously don't subscribe to that many blogs.)

This week: I'm all caught up.
And I feel like I'm the winner.
--- 3 ---
This week I made beets for the first time. I've loved canned beets since Melanie came home from Mexico having discovered them. (Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.)
Organic beets boiled on the stove are fantastic. Loved them. 
And I'm now scheming to plant beets in my garden next year.
--- 4 ---
Thanks to the fabulous weather we've been having (rain!), we were discussing thunder and lightning at work. The "news" was that the same event created two proofs: one visual and one audio. Light travels faster than sound, thus you have the separation of time. Some of us grew up thinking thunder and lightning were completely separate events. I'm not providing a link because in the 2 minutes I have to research it, I can't find anything very reliable... and I refuse to link to Yahoo Answers. But, feel free to share if you can find a good one. :)
--- 5 ---
The great office chair search is over. I'm the new happy owner sitter of a Herman Miller Aeron Chair. I didn't really know chairs could be that comfortable. 
It turns out that adjustability is absolutely key.
--- 6 ---
Special thanks to Pete and Sheila for hearing my woes and answering my call for a new pulled pork recipe! Folks, this meat fell apart. That's never happened to me before!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
--- 7 ---
This is what my life looks like these days:
That's the digital version of the books I'm currently reading in preparation for the Series 7. Interestingly, the books are sized by their relative amount of content... You'll notice chapters 2 and 3 are major chapters. I'm almost done with Chapter 2: Debt. 
Oy gavelt, there's a lot to learn!

To embark on the debate of the mixing of country and rap music,
or the goodness (or not) of fruitcake, go visit Jen!

3 comments:

  1. Melanie discovered beets?! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha- YES! I remember her telling us that she thought it was a Mexico-only food... and then discovered America had them, too. :) Of course, that's the 13 year old memory I have of it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Borschtttttt!!!!!!!!!! The rabbits around here DEVOUR beet leaves! Borrow Mowgli anytime you want:)

    ReplyDelete