Thursday, January 10, 2013

Photos... what's happening?


Today I am faced (and so face you) with the modern problems of the modern photographer...

With what do you take photos?
And then, where do you post them?

Flickr's new app rocks. You can add filters, etc. Instagram is capable of the same, but forces everything into the square frame, meaning sometimes my photos simply don't "translate" well to Instagram, which forces me to use Instagram to actually take my photos. If I send Instagram Photos to Facebook, it's in its own album and I can't add other photos to that album or move them to other albums (or at least I can't figure it out). 

Brian bought me Snapseed for Christmas, which looks awesome for editing, and he bought me PowerCam, which allows for taking panoramic photos, editing, and sending to other sharing apps.

So... sharing: I don't get a lot of "traffic" on Instagram. I've started only posting photos of people on Facebook because it gets the most traffic and I can control who sees what. That means that my "artsy" photos on Flickr get basically no views, because people love seeing photos of people... It's simply always been the case. I keep daily photos from my phone on Instagram, but as I mentioned... I don't have a lot of "friends" there. 

So, basically I'm ranting. And, want to know what you think. 
Where do you share photos?
What do you think is the "Wave of the Future"? 
Will we all use flickr to take and post every day photos?
Will Instagram really take off,
or should I return to flickr for every day photos?

And, as always, I'm just trying to be efficient... and share. :)

So, I leave you with that...
until 7 quick takes, of course, which is tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. From what I've seen, people end up biting the bullet, create their own website, and host their own photos:

    http://thepioneerwoman.com/

    http://www.theblondesalad.com/

    Chiara started out on flickr, but outgrew it due to her popularity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of thoughts:

    Instagram did take off. Plenty of people use it. However, there are a couple of things they've changed recently that have resulted in adverse feelings towards the service.

    For example, on Twitter, it used to be the case that a person could click on a tweet with an Instagram link, and the tweet would expand, allowing the person to see the photo right there. However, Instagram changed the way people could view photos so that you now have to click on the link, which takes you to the website, to view it. Instagram did this in an effort to bring more people to their actual website.

    Another example is their change in their terms of service, which are closer to Facebook's terms of service. The new ToS basically stipulate that they have the right to use any photos you upload however they want. This caused a slight uproar recently, to which XKCD had this to respond with: http://xkcd.com/1150/

    Anyway, the way I choose to do photos is as follows:

    All photos I take with Instagram, I send to both my Flickr photostream and Twitter, which posts it on my Facebook wall as a status update. This is what I consider Instagram to be good for - status updates. Like, "Hey, here's a random photo that you might like!"

    Any photos I take with my actual camera, I send to both Flickr and Facebook. However, I use specific methods of organization, depending on the type of photo. For example, a photo like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/andybowar/8232586441/in/photostream I'll send to my general Flickr photostream and mark the permissions so that anyone can see it. On Facebook, I organize my general, sorta random photos by season. So for this one, I would just throw it in the "Fall '12" album. For pictures of people, I usually just choose a few of my favorites and throw them on Flickr and Facebook in the same way that I just mentioned (perhaps if there are a lot of people pictures that I want people to see, I'll put them on my Flickr photostream and mark them as only visible by my contacts).

    If there is a certain event or trip that I've taken pictures of, I'll put them on both Flickr and Facebook in their own "set" or "album", as the case may be, like so: http://www.flickr.com/photos/andybowar/sets/72157631024983044/

    I should also mention that on Flickr, you can put a bunch of photos in a set, and mark the permissions for the set as a whole. But then, you can also set specific permissions for each individual photo in that set.

    Bottom line, the way I see it: Flickr is a great way for lots of different photographers to see your photos and for you to get your name out there. Facebook is a great way for all of your friends to see your photos. Adding your photos to groups is also a great way to get yourself out there. And to get your inbox flooded with emails. Like I did with this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/andybowar/8171407667/in/photostream

    Hope this helps! :)

    ReplyDelete