Friday, August 10, 2012

Take 14

7 Quick Takes Friday
--- 1 ---
Our kitchen! You can see where it was last week. This week, Brian has created his own counter tops (without the 4' lip on the back wall- yay!), put in a new sink with new fixtures, and put up tile backsplash (which he's almost done grouting). Folks, I can't wait to cook up a storm in there! Also, I'm taking suggestions on paint colors... I have some ideas, but you g'ahead and dream big and tell me what you think. :)


--- 2 ---
Weather... Public service announcement: the lows all week have been in the low 60s. This gal is very pleased. More of that, Lord. I am not ungrateful! Praise Him for this beautiful weather!
--- 3 ---
Insure. Ensure. People, there are those moments in life when you feel like you're communicating just fine. And then, you realize you've told someone you can ensure that they _______ (fill in the blank here, doesn't matter what you're ensuring them of). And then, in a flash, you suddenly wonder if visions of milky liquid intended for the more mature among us are coursing through their imaginations, too... You suddenly wonder if you should've pronounced it insure and then realize that maybe keeping the $25 dictionary from Trinity School was a good idea after all.

Well, folks. I've looked it up. Ensure is actually a word.

en·sure/enˈSHo͝or/

Verb:
  1. Make certain that (something) shall occur or be the case.
  2. Make certain of obtaining or providing (something).
And, so in insure, but none of us were really doubting that...

in·sure/inˈSHo͝or/

Verb:
  1. Arrange for compensation in the event of damage to or loss of (property), or injury to or the death of (someone), in exchange for...: "the car is insured for loss or damage"
  2. Provide insurance coverage.
(I would've copied definitions from my Trinity dictionary, but alas, or yay!, it's a real book. I took the real educated route and copied you definitions from google.com.) I share this with you in case the market of meal-substitute liquids have confused your vocabulary, too. Don't mention it.
--- 4 ---
I'm back in the basement for work-- I gave the faculty room the old college try. Dual monitors, a phone (other than the cell type), beautiful wall colors, blasting AC and my keyboard tray... I'm one happy camper. All I need is an occasional Gina sighting and I'll be happy as a clam, which in my book, is happier than a camper... who's likely camping.
--- 5 ---
Thanks to designsponge.com, I happened upon this stop motion video of the creation of a 10'x6' table by a gal in Brooklyn... Super. Awesome.
--- 6 ---
My photo was used for the front cover for the recent issue of the Vine & Branches! I ain't no Melanie Reyes Photography, but I was honored that they chose it. 
--- 7 ---
Speaking of photos, Brian and I just had a conversation this week about this commercial. Turns out, I love it. Brian's comment was that the human smile is powerful. That made me think of photography... No matter how many beautiful "earth shots" that are out there of the most exotic locations, it's simply not as pleasing to the eye as this. Or this. Or even this or this. I think it's because it goes deeper. It's stunning. And it's exactly why while I love scenery shots, I'm always striving to capture people better. Turns out, people can have the whole Spirit of God in them and I want to try to capture it.

Fyi- I didn't get to the beach last week due to a fever. Operation get to the beach asap... that's all me. somehow. with the start of school in two weeks... I. will. win. :)

To find out about the decibel meter app, visit Jen!

2 comments:

  1. Awww. I was hoping you'd stay in the faculty room:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're kind, Ruth :) Thank you. Come and visit our tranquil office anytime!

    ReplyDelete