Thursday, January 20, 2011

Taking Action

"The future of our world, however, depends on our willingness to live as the human beings God has created us to be. Being human means allowing our hearts to be touched by the plight of our fellow humans and taking action for the sake of others" (A Friendship Like No Other, p. 113). William Barry comments that the heart of this is laid out in Matthew 25. "Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me" (vs 40).

As I settle in to my office with Gina at Trinity School, I am suddenly aware of a whole new level of Matthew 25. Being a Trinity graduate, I am struck by the level of sacrifice that I was not aware of as a student. The teachers and administrative staff of the school are simply laying down their lives for the students. In addition to that, I marvel at parents who spend their free evenings watching their children play sports, helping out with homework, dropping kids off, picking them up, and often for someone else's children as well as their own.

It's the small services and sacrifices that I'm working hard to notice. It's my household members speaking up quickly when someone needs to be relieved of their cooking duties, dropping each other off at the airport at early hours, and texting how their work is going in the middle of the day.

Barry calls it, "Taking action for the sake of others" and there are innumerable ways to take action for the sake of the kingdom of God. I'm grateful to the Lord for all those around me who are working hard to take action. It's definitely showing!

No comments:

Post a Comment