Monday, February 04, 2008

Yogurt Making

I have recently discovered that you can make yogurt. This was news to me, and I was excited. I wanted to let y'all in on the experiment that I've been running for about 2 weeks now. (More calcium!)

Recipe:

Yogurt (Recipe for 1 gallon)

1/2 Gallon of Milk
1 cup of active yogurt culture (unflavored)
1/3 cup of dry milk.

Put milk on the stove in a big pot.
Heat the combination to 190 degrees, checking with the thermometer, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot to prevent burnt milk, which will ruin the entire batch. Keep at 190 for a few minutes, adding in the 1/3 cup of dry milk. Take off the stove and let cool to 110 degrees – which will take some time. You can put pot in a cool water bath in sink. I put water in the crock pot to warm it up so the milk isn't cooled further once transferred.
When the milk gets to 115 degrees, prepare the yogurt by taking some milk out of the pot and adding it to a small saucepan with the yogurt culture. When the milk hits 110 degrees, add the yogurt/milk combination, stir well and place in the crockpot. I leave it there for 8 hours to produce the finest yogurt ever, but it is well worth it. (This last sentence, and in fact, most of this recipe is thanks to Eric Y. and consultations with Jon G. Thanks for your help.)
(Add in brown sugar, honey, or pie filling for flavoring.)

For further experimentation, jell-o can be added for custard yogurt. Stay tuned for the success or failure on the horizon.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great Molly! I'm sure yours turns out better than mine used to. I made mine in the oven with an ice cream bucket in a water bath inside a big black roaster. I used basically the same ingredients and had varied success.
    Nice to see yogurt making is coming around again!
    God Bless you and your life together!
    Nancy Caneff

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you rinse out your pot with water first before putting in the milk, leaving a thin film of water on the bottom,it keeps it from burning. Don't ask me why. An Indian friend of mine told me this.

    ReplyDelete